Beyond the Fourth Wall
Where webcomic readers conspire

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Welcome!
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 9, 10, 11  Next

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Beyond the Fourth Wall Forum Index -> Whatever
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ssava
Creator of "The Dreamland Chronicles"

PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2008 2:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well it's nice to meet you and thanks for posting!
Smile

HOpe to see more of you soon.
Scott

Imaginary Friend
Undistinguished Extra

PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2008 5:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So I presume this is the place where I introduce myself. ::adjusts tie and clears throat::

Hello, everyone. I'm Mike, I'm in my 40s, and I'm a sci-fi/fantasy buff from way back. Like so many others before me, I devoured TDC the same day I discovered it, in a single sitting. Eleven full chapters worth. Shocked

Now I'm looking forward to seeing what everyone else has loved, disliked, guessed, or disputed about the story. It ought to be a fun ride.
ssava

PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2008 1:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi and welcome!
Thanks so much for joining and I hope you DO enjoy the ride. I know I'm having fun.
Smile

Hylianmedli
Major Character

PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2008 9:58 pm    Post subject: Hellos! Reply with quote

Hi I'm HylianMedli, I live in Beavercreek, Ohio. I'm 15 years old and I love reading, writing stories, playing video games, and watching anime (preferably Japanese with subs). I love the Chronicles of Dreamland. I'd love to see what would happen if Kiwi, Nastajia. Rumplebuttom, and Felicity went to the real world.
ssava

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2008 12:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi HylianMedli!
Thank you for posting and welcome to the forums.

Hylianmedli
Major Character

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2008 3:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your Welcome. Smile
Sean Canavi
Bit Part

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2008 11:49 pm    Post subject: Hello. Reply with quote

So as you can probably guess, I'm a newcomer to these forums. The comic, Dreamland Chronicles, is a wonderful piece of work that made me smile. I joined these forums for the sake of having one more place to hang out and hopefully make new friends in my spare time.

So, yes. About me. My name's Sean James Canavi. I'm a 20 year old avowed (but extremely open minded) atheist, from the East Coast of the United States of America. I'm a Writer, gamer, and roleplayer. I enjoy Talking to friends, playing games such as Halo, Call of Duty, Grand Theft Auto (Which I enjoy for the sake of the stories, crazy place for inspiration, huh?), Dungeons and Dragons, and other such diversions.

I'm kind of shy, but get to know me, and I can be a good friend. That's really all there is to say at this point...

So yeah, now that the overwhelmingly cliche introduction is done, I think I'll have a look around.
ssava

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2008 12:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Sean.
So great that you came by and introduced yourself.
I'm so glad you enjoy Dreamland and thank you for the kind words.

One of these days we're going to have to open up a section of the Fourth wall forum (I think Brett already has it up and running) that lets us talk philisophically about religion and life without hopefully getting into flame wars.

I'd love to get to know a lot of you more in that way.

Anyways. Thanks again and welcome to the forum.
Scott

Sean Canavi
Bit Part

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2008 1:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ssava wrote:
Hey Sean.
So great that you came by and introduced yourself.
I'm so glad you enjoy Dreamland and thank you for the kind words.

One of these days we're going to have to open up a section of the Fourth wall forum (I think Brett already has it up and running) that lets us talk philisophically about religion and life without hopefully getting into flame wars.

I'd love to get to know a lot of you more in that way.

Anyways. Thanks again and welcome to the forum.
Scott

Thank you for the welcome.

I try not to drag religion generally into conversations, but I felt at the time I typed my introduction that I should point it out for future reference.

I, as a person, could care less what another's faith is. I try and get to know them as a person, not by what they believe in. It's hard for me at times, and I'd imagine it's hard for everyone.

But I find that by asking questions from, and by viewing people with an unbiased standpoint, I can achieve unburdened thought.

Most of the time, anyway..
TFBW
Deus Ex Machina

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2008 1:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ssava wrote:

That kind of thing is available over at my personal forum, but the place is like a ghost town at the moment because I'm not advertising it anywhere. I used to point to it from my Nutters.org website, but a big data-loss event late last year meant I had to restore from a really old backup (and I was lucky to even have that), and I haven't bothered redoing all the lost changes yet, including links to the forum.

Sean Canavi wrote:
I try and get to know them as a person, not by what they believe in.

I try to get to know people by what they believe in and (more importantly) why they elect to believe in it. So, for example, the fact that you're an "avowed (but extremely open minded) atheist" tells me a little, but would prompt me to dig deeper. What kind of atheist, for example? Every atheist has his own ideas of atheism. Is it a denial of the existence of the Judaeo-Christian God specifically? Is it a philosophical naturalism, which denies the existence of any "supernatural" reality whatsoever? Is it what you might call "apatheism", which is merely a complete lack of interest in whether God exists, rather than a denial of existence? Or is it more correctly described as antipathy towards God ("antipatheism?"), rather than a denial of existence?

I've encountered atheists who might prefer to identify with any of these quite different characterisations, and each of these positions could raise further questions.
Sean Canavi
Bit Part

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2008 2:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

TFBW wrote:
Sean Canavi wrote:
I try and get to know them as a person, not by what they believe in.

I try to get to know people by what they believe in and (more importantly) why they elect to believe in it. So, for example, the fact that you're an "avowed (but extremely open minded) atheist" tells me a little, but would prompt me to dig deeper. What kind of atheist, for example? Every atheist has his own ideas of atheism. Is it a denial of the existence of the Judaeo-Christian God specifically? Is it a philosophical naturalism, which denies the existence of any "supernatural" reality whatsoever? Is it what you might call "apatheism", which is merely a complete lack of interest in whether God exists, rather than a denial of existence? Or is it more correctly described as antipathy towards God ("antipatheism?"), rather than a denial of existence?

I've encountered atheists who might prefer to identify with any of these quite different characterizations, and each of these positions could raise further questions.

I'm reluctant to continue this discussion... But alright. This is all I'm going to say, Religion, to me, is something dangerous, reckless, and often blown way out of proportion.

I'm well aware that religious orders do good works for the people, but I believe that Religion as a belief in some kind of supreme being, philosophy, or other kind of belief system is nothing more than a strictly enforced mini-society, that strips away Progress, decency, freedom of thought and self, and severely limits a person's cognitive and reasoning abilities by planting set parameters into their brains.

Religion often declares certain aspects of things to be against their beliefs, and so they try to stamp them out of said beliefs, for no other reason than their leaders told them to.

If I wanted to be told what to do with my life, I'd have let myself continue to be coerced and encouraged to believe in some utterly bizarre story that has gotten distorted as time has passed.

In general, I view religious types who follow set paths in their lives, based on what their religion tells them, to be little more than cattle literally being led around by a shiny holy symbol.

I pity those types of people, who cannot seem to think for themselves. I'd rather this discussion go no further, since it's not something that I had wanted to discuss right off the bat. It's probably going to offend a lot of people. But I've always been a man of strong opinions.
TFBW
Deus Ex Machina

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2008 4:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That little explanation tells me much more about you than if I'd asked about your hobbies or favourite TV show.
tuxedobob
Major Character

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2008 7:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It should still probably be deleted, and it probably doesn't really belong here. I've never heard any atheist talk about any religion in a positive light.
ssava

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2008 12:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh I don't think it should be deleted.
I just would love to have an open forum we could discuss this. and other things.

Sean Canavi
Bit Part

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2008 1:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I apologize if I've offended anyone. But I felt I was being compelled to talk about my own beliefs, and so I did. I did also say I was reluctant to carry on the discussion. Let's just assume it never happened.
TFBW
Deus Ex Machina

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2008 2:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tuxedobob wrote:
It should still probably be deleted, and it probably doesn't really belong here.

Fair's fair. It was an opinion which I solicited as part of an introduction, not an unwarranted attack on religion generally. Knowing someone's stance on a matter like this can help to put the rest of their comments in context.

ssava wrote:
I just would love to have an open forum we could discuss this. and other things.

Well, that can be arranged. I'm not going to rush into it, though. All in the Fullness of Time, as they say.
ssava

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2008 6:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

All's cool.

TFBW
Deus Ex Machina

PostPosted: Sat Aug 02, 2008 4:18 am    Post subject: Religious discussion has been relocated Reply with quote

Further discussion of religion can now be pursued in this topic thread rather than here. Let the welcomes resume.
Leorobin
Supporting Role

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2009 5:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmmm this haven't been used in a while.

My name's Leonardo i'm 18 y/o my Bday is 7/11 and I like to talk about anything and everything. I'm a book worm but also practice 5 different martial arts and a wide variety of sports.
ssava

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2009 2:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Leonardo!
Welcome to Dreamland!

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2009 2:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Very Happy
Leorobin
Supporting Role

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2009 2:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Forgot to login
Problematic
Undistinguished Extra

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2009 11:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow... It looks like I'm reviving a dead thread. Smile

I'm Problematic. My real name really isn't important, but you may call me 'Beth' if 'Problematic' is too long to type. Razz I'm autodidactic, but trying to stick any other labels on me would be a rather tough process, since I'm interested in most anything.

I've been reading the Dreamland Chronicles for a couple years now, but only recently decided to join the forum.
ssava

PostPosted: Sat Jul 04, 2009 4:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very nice to meet you Prob.
Smile

Bezman
Star of the Show

PostPosted: Sun Jul 05, 2009 1:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey and welcome, Prob! Smile
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Beyond the Fourth Wall Forum Index -> Whatever All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 9, 10, 11  Next
Page 10 of 11

Jump to: