Beyond the Fourth Wall
Where webcomic readers conspire

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
What books are you reading?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Beyond the Fourth Wall Forum Index -> Whatever
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Hylianmedli
Major Character

PostPosted: Wed Nov 05, 2008 2:02 am    Post subject: What books are you reading? Reply with quote

What books have you just finished or are reading? What were they about? I just got done reading a historical fiction novel called My last skirt by Lynda Durrant. Its about a lady named Jennie Hodgers, who disguises as a man to get a higher minimum when she works then later to serve in the union army during the civil war. If you want to know more about it, look here:

http://www.amazon.com/My-Last-Skirt-Hodgers-Soldier/dp/0618574905/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1225850477&sr=1-1
TFBW
Deus Ex Machina

PostPosted: Wed Nov 05, 2008 4:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

"Against Method", third edition, by Paul Feyerabend, a controversial book on the philosophy of science that would get most scientific rationalists worked up into a lather if they read it.
Wayfarer
Bit Part

PostPosted: Wed Nov 05, 2008 6:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Finished Till We Have Faces by C.S. Lewis yesterday (I'd started it over the weekend). I'd read it before, but it had been years, and quite frankly, the real point of it was over my head then. However, the re-reading just confirmed again - in case I was in doubt - that I consider Lewis to be brilliant. Very Happy The story is Lewis' re-telling of the Greek Psyche myth, told from the perspective of one of Psyche's sisters. Intriguing book. Some excellent food for thought. But I'm terrible at summaries (as this very post may well show), so I'll leave it at that.

Finished The Philippian Fragment by Calvin Miller today. The premise is that it's a collection of letters written from one... I think 2nd century... pastor to another. Basically transposing various issues from today's church into the terminology of that timeframe. Sort of the idea that we sometimes see things more clearly if they're disguised a bit in less familiar terms.

Got another Calvin Miller book - The Valiant Papers - waiting. And we'll see where things go from there.
John Theta
Major Character

PostPosted: Wed Nov 05, 2008 6:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm reading the Legacy of the Force series of Star Wars books.
Bezman
Star of the Show

PostPosted: Wed Nov 05, 2008 12:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For many years, I didn't read books. Waste of time. But now I've FINALLY found a book club that issues books that interest me. They are niched into historical conflicts.

I am currently reading a book about the Russian galley fleet burning and plundering parts of the Swedish east coast in the summer of 1719. Many villages and houses were burnt down, some 20.000 lost their homes, more lost property.
Hylianmedli
Major Character

PostPosted: Thu Nov 06, 2008 8:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

John Theta wrote:
I'm reading the Legacy of the Force series of Star Wars books.

Isn't that the one that has Mara Jade in it? or is it another Star wars book series?
John Theta
Major Character

PostPosted: Fri Nov 07, 2008 6:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, she's in that series, but I'm pretty sure she's in other books as well, prior to that, since she and Luke Skywalker are married with a thirteen-year-old son at the beginning of the first book.
bkev
Major Character

PostPosted: Sat Nov 08, 2008 1:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's the series that pissed everyone off by killing so many people o-o

My dreamland sig. Comments appreciated!
John Theta
Major Character

PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2008 9:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Eh, that group of fans never forgave the authors for the Yuzhan Vong war and can't accept anything that comes after that anyway.
Ranchlamb
Typo Queen

PostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2008 7:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I recently finished Sakura Taisen Vol. 1 its a manga. It is about a guy who just graduated from the naval academy. He gets assigned to a Theater as a Ticket Collector. He is surrounded by a bunch of girls that are Actresses but also are samurai. It is kinda interesting, and I looked it up last night there are 7 books so I would likes to eventually be able to get my hands on the other 6 books.

I'm also currently reading Black Beauty to my baby girl. Its about a horse Very Happy
Smeasle
Supporting Role

PostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2008 1:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm currently readingFailure Is Not An Option by Gene Kranz. It's about NASA Mission Control from the Mercury Program through the Apollo program. Very interesting.

I recently finished Lost Moon by Jim Lovell. THAT was a great book. It's about Apollo 13, written by the commander of the mission.
Hylianmedli
Major Character

PostPosted: Sun Nov 23, 2008 7:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just finished reading The Steps by Rachel Cohn. Its about a girl raised in New York named Anabelle who copes spending Christmas with her Dad in Australia with her stepfamily because her parents were divorced and her father remarried a mother of three children in Australia.
sorabezhad
Minor Character

PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2008 1:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i've started on the divine comedy. i havn't had much time to read it though.
Hylianmedli
Major Character

PostPosted: Wed Dec 03, 2008 12:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just finished an AWESOME book called The weirdo by Theodore Taylor, who wrote another book called The Cay that I also adore. Since I'm too lazy to write a summary on both of those books, I'm going to copy paste summaries found on Amazon.com
The cay
This award-winning novel remains a powerful classic of prejudice, love, and survival. In 1942, 11-year-old Phillip Enright lives with his parents on the Dutch island of Curaçao, but when the war moves too close for comfort, his mother decides to travel with him back to the safety of Virginia. When their boat is torpedoed, however, Phillip is blinded and finds himself adrift on a life raft with an old black man and a cat. They eventually land on a deserted island. Phillip is suspicious of "the large Negro," but soon grows to trust--and ultimately love--the patient and generous Timothy. Dedicated to "Dr. King's Dream," The Cay has a clear message that friendship is colorblind; it is also a terrific adventure story of a young, newly blinded man learning to survive on an uninhabited island.

The weirdo
Environmentalism provides the political backdrop for this story of the courage and self-acceptance acquired by "weirdo" Chip Clewt, 17, in his fight to save the bear population in a North Carolina swamp. Badly disfigured in a plane crash, the boy takes refuge from the world with only the bears and Tom, his boss, for company. But when Tom disappears, Chip enlists his new friend Samantha to help prove that the man was murdered by poachers. In an eloquent debate that proves informative and moving, human and animal rights are pitted against each other. This murder mystery/love story/environmental thriller by the author of The Trouble with Tuck weaves an uncommon spell. Deftly drawn characterizations, from the admirable to the loathsome, and an engrossing journalistic format are among the many strong points that make his timely and compelling novel a winner.
Leorobin
Supporting Role

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2009 5:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Most of them are in spanish, i'll try to translate most.

I'm reading The Egiptian Book of The Death by A. Laurent and José Figueres and the Social Justice by Tomás Guerra. On my to read list there are several of Edgar Allan Poe's works,
Eragorn, Eldest and Brisingr by Christopher Paolini,
The Bible,
The Corán,
Several of Khalil Gibran's works(I recomend those),
The Divine Comedy
Macbeth
Otello
A Happy World by Aldous Huxley
Estacion del Viento Hijos del Sol Maiz by E. Valverde Araya
Amigos y Vecinos by Ramón de España
En Çiron Vuelan by Samuel R. Delany
Treuque Mental by Robert Sheckley
The Prayer of the Toad by Anthony de Mello
The House by Daniel Gallegos
Seven Tragedies by Esquilo
And about 15 others books involving martial arts, yoga, novels and plays.
Hylianmedli
Major Character

PostPosted: Sat Mar 07, 2009 2:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just competed The Raging Quiet by Sherryl Jordan. If you'd like a summary and a small exerpt you can find it here: http://www.amazon.com/Raging-Quiet-Sherryl-Jordan/dp/0689870043/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1236385135&sr=8-1
Ayvielle
Minor Character

PostPosted: Sat Mar 07, 2009 5:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am in the middle of reading a book called The Years of Rice and Salt, it's an alternate-history science fiction book about what would happened if the Black Plague wiped out 99% of European population instead of only 30%. It follows the same group of characters as they are reincarnated into different groups of people, in order to show centuries worth of history while still having some focus on character development.
Hylianmedli
Major Character

PostPosted: Sun Mar 08, 2009 12:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Completed another book. its called Girlwood by Claire Dean here's the summary:

Polly Greene has always been considered strange, a girl who can see a person’s true colors, a thirteen-year-old more comfortable foraging in the woods with her eccentric grandmother than hanging out with friends. But all that is about to change when Polly’s older sister, Bree, vanishes into the woods. The only one who believes Bree can survive, Polly begins to leave food in the woods for her sister and finds a hidden grove she names Girlwood, where she believes Bree is burning a fire each night. Along with an odd but endearing group of friends, Polly clings to the hope that she can see her sister through the harsh, snowy winter. And, in the process, she discovers the cruelty, bounty, and magic of the woods. Will Polly save her sister? And even if she does, will Girlwood survive?

If you want more information click here: http://www.amazon.com/Girlwood-Dean-Claire/dp/0618883908/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1236471629&sr=8-1
blood_dodo
Minor Character

PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2009 7:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

John Theta wrote:
Eh, that group of fans never forgave the authors for the Yuzhan Vong war and can't accept anything that comes after that anyway.
They killed Chewbacca... Not to mention Mara's death, Anakin Solo and so on...
The latest book I finished was the first Deathstalker by Simon Green - really good sci-fi and I'll be going through the other Deathstalker novels before dad returns with the two Mass Effect ones Smile
John Theta
Major Character

PostPosted: Sat Apr 11, 2009 6:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

So is it unacceptable for a main character to die? Because the original movies killed Obiwan.

I just finished the third book in Piers Anthony's Mode series, and want to read the fourth.
blood_dodo
Minor Character

PostPosted: Sun Apr 12, 2009 2:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

John Theta wrote:
Quote:

So is it unacceptable for a main character to die? Because the original movies killed Obiwan.

I just finished the third book in Piers Anthony's Mode series, and want to read the fourth.
It's different, atleast the way I see it. Obi-Wan was there to set Luke on the path of the hero (classic story) and therefore whether he lived or died was irrelevant. And the only thing we knew bout him before ep. I, II, III and the EU is that he served in some wars and was an old jedi general. That doesn't make him much of a main character.
Yes, I like him, I think his death was kinda stupid, but hey, it serves the plot.
Now the new stuff, I just can't seem to process. My mind simply refuses to, so I don't. I don't like neither that period, nor the Legacy-era.

And I actually prefer the period in which the KotOR series is situated and the upcomming TOR Smile
waffled
Undistinguished Extra

PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2009 5:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just finished two Warhammer 40k novels, Traitor General and His Last Command by Dan Abnett. Great books, and the first Warhammer I've read. The first especially is not for kiddies; it fully embraces the "dark gothic" war setting.

In a different direction, I'm looking forward to reading the new Kim Harrison novel, White Witch, Black Curse, because modern-set fantasy is addictive. Also, this series is one of the better in the mass that has come out in recent years.
Bezman
Star of the Show

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2009 8:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The first part of five in a series about the wars around the Baltic Sea, named "1000-1520 - With blood and sword".
It is a historical review.
Proforce
Minor Character

PostPosted: Fri Jul 17, 2009 11:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm actually getting into the Redwall series by Brian Jacques. So far so good with them.
waffled
Undistinguished Extra

PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2009 8:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Finished up White Witch, Black Curse, the newest Rachel Morgan book by Kim Harrison. Very good character development and growth over the series (this was book seven). One of many things that I really appreciate about this series is the long-running backplots, and that they actually get dealt with over the course of the series. Fun "modern fantasy" book.

Not sure what fiction I'll read next, but I do have some nonfiction to catch up on. Life in a Medieval Castle by Joseph and Frances Gies and Hollow Earth by David Standish are up next on my list. I formerly worked in a used bookstore leaving me with a near-endless supply of "to read" books on my shelves.
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Beyond the Fourth Wall Forum Index -> Whatever All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: