Beyond the Fourth Wall
Where webcomic readers conspire

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Tid-Bits on everyday life.
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Beyond the Fourth Wall Forum Index -> Whatever
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Emma the 1st
Major Character

PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2006 5:54 am    Post subject: Tid-Bits on everyday life. Reply with quote

I thought this would be a good place to talk about the odd, everyday bits of life. Maybe even rant about the unfairness of life. This could get very ammusing...

To start:
[rant]My DDR pad is so annoying!!!!!!!!!!!! Evil or Very Mad Mad I've had it since last Christmas, and now the down arrow is wacky-it sometimes registers, but you have to step on the exactly right spot-between the center & down arrow!! I treat it nicely; my mom, my sister, and I use it (sometimes my friends come over or I take it to their house, but we don't abuse it). Its one of the vinel ones that came with DDR Extreme 2. I've barely had it for a year and now it's practically broken!!! My one friend got the same one last year too, on Christmas, and her down arrow is more screwed up than mine! For the down arrow to register (on hers), you need to jump on it with both feet flat. She doesn't use it as much, but she folds it up all the way to store it. We just fold the left & right sides and lay it on top of a container in the basement next to our gaming TV.[/rant]

Still, I thought it would last more than 5 years or so, I guess not.
Does anyone else here do DDR?
Do you have similar problems?
Do you know what the best dance pad would be?
TFBW
Deus Ex Machina

PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2006 6:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm a StepManiac. StepMania is a clone of DDR available for Windows/Linux/Mac. I play between 30 and 60 minutes of vigorous StepMania six days a week. I lost 10 kilos of excess baggage this way.

I found that the soft mats are inadequate once you get up to a certain intensity. As a consequence, I don't use a mat at all most of the time: I just configure the game for "auto play" (in which it assumes I'm perfect) and jump around on the floor. When you're playing in order to exercise, score and correctness isn't much of an issue: you just need to get the heart rate up and keep it there for a certain amount of time.

Having said that, I have built my own platforms from time to time. Coming up with a solution that's easy to build, cheap, and durable is no mean feat, but I'm getting there. I'm hoping to build more in the near future and document it on my website.
Emma the 1st
Major Character

PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2006 6:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

TFBW wrote:
Having said that, I have built my own platforms from time to time. Coming up with a solution that's easy to build, cheap, and durable is no mean feat, but I'm getting there.

You BUILD your own mats?!?!?!? Wow... I didn't think that was possible.
There is a setting on DDR to let it play through the whole song, but I like to see my score, how many misses I get (etc.)
I've heard that the metal mats last way longer and are better for scoring and such, but they are ex$pen$ive!!!
TFBW
Deus Ex Machina

PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2006 7:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Emma the 1st wrote:
You BUILD your own mats?!?!?!? Wow... I didn't think that was possible.

As far as electronics goes, it's relatively simple. All you're doing is making a bunch of pressure-switches. Anyway, I'll post more detail when I make my next set.

In the meantime, some questions for you. For starters, what level do you play at, and what are your favourite songs? Also a technical question: I take it that you're running off a Playstation2 here; does the dance mat use a USB interface or the Playstation style of connector?
Emma the 1st
Major Character

PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2006 10:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I play at a Standard-Heavy level, and I can do 2 or 3 Challenge songs, although not so many Heavy&Challenge cause the mat slides around and the whole back arrow thing. I have DDR Extreme 2, DDR Extreme, and DDR Max. I like mostly all the songs, especially the faster ones. These are the ones I usually play:

DDR Extreme 2: Butterfly, sync, Colors (For Extreme), Speed Over Beethoven, Polovtsian Dances and Chorus, Love Is Orange, Captain Jack, Candy♥, Daikenkai, 1998, Brilliant 2 U, Seduction, Cartoon Heros, DYNAMITE RAVE, Look to The Sky, Heaven is a '57 metallic gray, Injection Of Love , Quickening, Sakura, Silence, Spin Spin Sugar, all the Naoiki songs, the Paranoias, and maybe some others I have forgotten.

DDR Extreme: .59, 321 Stars, A, A Stupid Barber, Can't Stop Fallin' In Love, Diving, Drop Out, Drop the Bomb, Ecstasy, Go West, i feel..., JaneJana, Kick the Can, Kids In America, La Senorita, Maximizer, Move Your Feet, Music, Never Ending Story, Pink Rose, Planet Rock, THe Legend of MAX, Theme from Enter the Dragon, Trip Machine, Tsugaru, V, You're Not Here, the Paranoias, and some others I could have forgotten.

DDR Max: BRILLIANT 2U (Orchestra Groove), CANDY★, Dark Black Forest, Ecstasy, Electro Tuned, Era, Exotic Ethnic, GRADIUSIC CYBER, Healing Vision, Holic, I Like to Move It, Look to the Sky, Matsuri JAPAN, MAX 300, My Generation, Rhythm and Police, Sandstorm, Stomp to My Beat, The Shining Polaris, You Leave Me Alone, the Paranioas, and others.

I haven't unlocked all the songs on Extreme 1 or DDR Max yet cause I borrowed them from a friend who is recovering from knee surgery.

I am running on a PS2, and the controller has the normal Playstation connector.

How many mats have you made? Do they work/function better than a store bought one? Do they also have X, O, Square, and Triangle, Start, and Select?
Ceridwen
Supporting Role

PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2006 11:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, if people rant, I can do too.
Had a horrible exam on Monday. Really horirble. Oral exam about the outbreak of WWI. Couldn`t answer a single question and felt rather shot down. It kind of sucks letting your own expectations to yourself get so downed in the mud.
At least I feel that way. Can`t brood too much about it though, since I have two more exams to go before vacation. When I am done, I will have had 6 exams in 4 months.

I miss high-school!
TFBW
Deus Ex Machina

PostPosted: Fri Dec 01, 2006 1:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Emma the 1st wrote:
How many mats have you made? Do they work/function better than a store bought one? Do they also have X, O, Square, and Triangle, Start, and Select?

The first platform I made used the PlayStation controller interface. I also connected it to a PC through a PlayStation-to-USB adapter. It had a nine-way tic-tac-toe grid of pressure switches, although the one in the middle wasn't actually connected to anything, plus two additional foot-switches for "start" and "select". It worked considerably better than the soft mat it replaced, but I eventually broke it after much pounding and jumping.

Since then, I've been trying for designs which are cheaper and more robust. That first platform was very expensive, but I've now come up with designs that aren't much more expensive than soft mats (if you don't include the cost of work involved in building it). I've experimented with about five different designs so far, and I think number six is going to be a charm.

I usually play on Heavy level with arrows at x2 speed, but there are a lot of songs I'll skip under those conditions because they would tire me out, and I'm aiming to play for around 45 minutes continuously.
Emma the 1st
Major Character

PostPosted: Fri Dec 01, 2006 2:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

TFBW wrote:
I usually play on Heavy level with arrows at x2 speed, but there are a lot of songs I'll skip under those conditions because they would tire me out, and I'm aiming to play for around 45 minutes continuously.

HEAVY x2?!?!?!?!? Shocked Are you serious?!?!?!?!?! Shocked You must have insane talent... how long have you been playing this?
Last summer was when I started, ocasionally playing it over my friend's house. I got one for Christmas and had graduated from Light to Standard in about 3 weeks after (playing everyday). I've felt like I've hit "the wall" as far as skill goes, I probably have hit the max skill limit of the mat too.

I've never had an oral test, Ceridwen, but I can share your test-taking pain. AP US History exams are killers...I have one tomorrow *melts in misery*
I've only learned history around to either the beginning or end of the civil war every year since elementary, and even that was brief. If it makes you feel better, I know practically nothing about WWI, except that some Duke guy with a weird name (did it start with an A?) from Austria got assassinated, which sparked the whole war- I think.
Nosdarb
Minor Character

PostPosted: Fri Dec 01, 2006 5:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah, video games. My personal area of nerd expertise.

Building mats is news to me as well. I know they're not technically very difficult to grasp, but I think most DDR players aren't really eletrical engineers at heart.

As far as hitting the wall...

I've got a friend who used to eat sleep and breathe DDR. He can do catas in his sleep now. When he go to the point you're at he had to switch to hard pads. He even considered buying one of the actual arcade mats which had been converted for use with the PS2 on e-bay (they were about 70-ish at the time). Soft mats just couldn't take the constant punishment he delt out. They died in about two weeks.

If you're handy, wait for TFBW to figure out a good way to build your own. If not... hard pads. I'll see if he remembers a good brand.

Personally, DDR and I never really got along. I can work that hard just to have a game tell me I only rate a "C". Light Guns are where it's at. ^_^ It's just a shame there aren't more good ones out there.

Light Guns and MMOs. Where does the excitement end?

-Nos

P.S. - The only oral tests I ever had were in German and in Latin. Being a silly American, speaking in not english is very difficult. Not knowing answers hurts, not understanding the questions is just insult to injury.

The Mystery of Life vol. 841, chapter 26
antiphon
Supporting Role

PostPosted: Fri Dec 01, 2006 9:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Emma the 1st wrote:
If it makes you feel better, I know practically nothing about WWI, except that some Duke guy with a weird name (did it start with an A?) from Austria got assassinated, which sparked the whole war- I think.

Archduke Franz Ferdinand. (which is where the band got its name from. I think.)
The key to the mystery of a great artist is that for reasons unknown, he will give away his energies and his life just to make sure that one note follows another... and leaves us with the feeling that something is right in the world. ~ Leonard Bernstein
Ceridwen
Supporting Role

PostPosted: Fri Dec 01, 2006 11:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aye. Arch-duke Frantz Ferdinand of Austria-Hungary. Sorry to say, my questions were first about Fritz Fischer, a 60`s historian that our textbook does not mention with one word.
Then we went on to imperialism and political relations within the different countries. I scraped a pass only thanks to a written assignment - though the oral performance pushed me down rather than pull me up. Non-niceness.

Video-games. Hmm..used to play that a lot, not much anymore though. Only playstation and Tekken theese days, unless my brother talks me into competing against him in one of his (too many) car-games.

5 days until first exam. I am so ready for vacation.
TFBW
Deus Ex Machina

PostPosted: Fri Dec 01, 2006 11:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Emma the 1st wrote:
HEAVY x2?!?!?!?!? Shocked Are you serious?!?!?!?!?! Shocked You must have insane talent... how long have you been playing this?
Last summer was when I started, ocasionally playing it over my friend's house. I got one for Christmas and had graduated from Light to Standard in about 3 weeks after (playing everyday). I've felt like I've hit "the wall" as far as skill goes, I probably have hit the max skill limit of the mat too.

When I say "Heavy x2", I mean that the arrows scroll up at double speed; the music is still at standard speed. I find this actually makes the arrows easier to read except on ludicrously fast songs like Max300. It's a question of reaction time, and the faster arrows mean that the rapid-fire steps are more spaced out and easier to read.

I've been playing off and on for about three years. I decided to get really serious about it this year, and I've been playing seriously six days a week since March. Skill is a factor of two things: intrinsic talent, and the amount of time you play the game. My intrinsic talent is fair, but I'm a six-foot tall guy of moderate build, so agility is not on my side. The sheer number of hours I've accumulated ensure that I'm a pretty good player, though. And fairly fit, too.

If you're still playing on the soft mats, though, that's probably holding you back. They are great for newbies, but limiting for experienced players.
antiphon
Supporting Role

PostPosted: Sat Dec 02, 2006 11:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ceridwen, I feel the pain. I had an English assessment last week during which I started feeling sick. now I'm worrying that I screwed it up. not only that, but my pen ran out during the assessment - as did the pen I borrowed from a friend. Confused fortunately, the 3rd pen worked. Smile I just can't wait until holidays.
The key to the mystery of a great artist is that for reasons unknown, he will give away his energies and his life just to make sure that one note follows another... and leaves us with the feeling that something is right in the world. ~ Leonard Bernstein
Emma the 1st
Major Character

PostPosted: Sun Dec 03, 2006 8:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TFBW wrote:
When I say "Heavy x2", I mean that the arrows scroll up at double speed; the music is still at standard speed. I find this actually makes the arrows easier to read except on ludicrously fast songs like Max300. It's a question of reaction time, and the faster arrows mean that the rapid-fire steps are more spaced out and easier to read.

Ohhhhhh. I see what you mean now. Maybe I'll try that.

Video-games: FUN! I don't have very many, but the ones me and my younger bro&sis have are great (in my opinion and in no order) Ratchet&Clank 1, 2, & 3; Sly Cooper 1 & 3; Kingdom Hearts 2, Jak 1&2; Lego Star Wars, NFS Most Wanted; DDRExtreme 1&2, DDR Max, and Dance Factory.

What was funny about DDR Max was that my friends and I called it DOOR Max, cause on the cover, the second D kinda looks like an O when you just glance at it briefly.

Dance Factory: I'd give it a C- as far as games go-the arrows are small and spread apart (on the top of the screen), you can record steps to your own songs, but you can't record hold arrows. The arrows don't flash to the beat, and they're all the same color. For your own cd's, you have to put each cd in in order to play those songs. One of the biggest things about it is-the up and down arrows are switched-instead of on DDR with the up arrow on the right and the down on the left-on Dance Factory the up arrow is on the left and the down arrow is on the right.
Smeasle
Supporting Role

PostPosted: Sun Dec 03, 2006 10:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do you have Sly Cooper 2? It is the best one.
I also enjoy playing video games, although I always get schooled... yeah, I still die at the first goomba in Mario from time to time, I'm not going to lie. Neutral
My favorites include Tetris, Sly Cooper 2 and 3 (1 is tough!!), Mega Man 2, and Legend of Zelda Ocarina of Time.
I've never played DDR, but everyone insists that I HAVE TO! I'll get around to it...eventually.
Emma the 1st
Major Character

PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 2006 9:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No, maybe we'll get it for Christmas. There was a demo of it on one of the Ratchet&Clank games though. Sly Cooper 1 is really tough!!!! The "Thief Times" are IMPOSSIBLE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I like 3 better because you can play as ALL the characters, although Sly is my favorite. What is Sly Cooper 2's subtitle?

We used to have an old original Nintendo that was my uncle's and it worked wonderfully!!!!, but my mom threw it away because she said we played on it too much!!!!!!!!!!!!!! We only had it for like, 6 months!!!!! I guess the concept of playing with your new toys alot is beyond her... We had a bunch of Mario games, Tetris, Yoshi's Island, Donkey Kong, and some others, about 15-20 total, and 2 controllers. GRRRRRRRR!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I guess it's pretty sad that I'm still mad about it, it's not like I bought it with my own money or anything, but come on!!!!!!!
Ranchlamb
Typo Queen

PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2006 3:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

things like that should never be thrown away. They are worth money. Laughing
Smeasle
Supporting Role

PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2006 7:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's full title is "Sly Cooper 2: Band of Thieves". The story line is better than the third one. And you still get to play as Murray and Bentley (no Carmelita though Sad ). And there's little extras when you beat each boss. Cool Oh yeah. I spent MANY happy hours on that game. I was so sad when it ended. So I started a new file and am working through it again. Now that's the sign of a good game!
Bezman
Star of the Show

PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2006 12:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Emma the 1st wrote:
...We used to have an old original Nintendo that was my uncle's and it worked wonderfully!!!!, but my mom threw it away because she said we played on it too much!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

You know, parents DO say a lot to "protect" their kids. If you think its gone, you won't go looking for it - easy end to the problem.
If you didn't actually SEE it go into the garbage truck, then she probably has it stashed away in a safe place. Unless she's
A. Independently wealthy, and
B. a nutcase
And with you seemingly at perfect mental health Mr. Green I can't see that "B" should be fulfilled... Smile

Then again, there is a chance that she sold it 2nd hand and bought other things for you instead... go figure.
Emma the 1st
Major Character

PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2006 3:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bezman wrote:
If you didn't actually SEE it go into the garbage truck, then she probably has it stashed away in a safe place. Unless she's
A. Independently wealthy, and
B. a nutcase
And with you seemingly at perfect mental health Mr. Green I can't see that "B" should be fulfilled... Smile

Then again, there is a chance that she sold it 2nd hand and bought other things for you instead... go figure.

There's no way she would have kept it hidden away, she didn't even know the value of it then!!!!!! At first she told us it broke and she threw it away, but then later she told me she was sick of us playing on it. GRRRR!!!!!!!!!! Evil or Very Mad And then we had a PS1 from our neighbors, but I accdently broke the controller-I was holding it in my right hand and wiping off the TV screen (that was covered in dust) with my left. I shocked myself and the controller with static electricity, and the circle button wouldn't work. It was either thrown out or we gave it to one of my younger bro's friend, but I'm 95% sure it was thrown out.

Would a working PS1 be worth anything now? or an original Nintendo? Wait...don't tell me, I might get more mad at my mom. And she wouldn't sell it secondhand either, she wouldn't think of it or thought it wouldn't get anything. We even have The Exchange right up our street!!!! Mad

My parents are electronically challenged, being in their late 40's.
Electricfox
Minor Character

PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2006 1:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've still got an original NES upstairs, safely tucked away, in fact I believe it's the original one we got in the 1980s back when it first came out in the UK, Mario 1 and Duck Hunt...Mario 2 and 3...good days Very Happy

Ceridwen
Supporting Role

PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2006 6:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah. I played my brother`s PC game last night, which was utterly funny. Car-game of sorts where he can drive races and win money to style his cars up. That`s not for me, but there is a nifty thing there called "Free roam" where you can drive around like a nutcase until you get cramps of it if you wish. So I did, and within 10 minutes I had the police at a red-alert and such a high condition that even my brother had never managed to get it up too.

That`s really something that defines the difference between us. I am marvelous at finding trouble and creating mayhem - he is just good at getting away from it.

Had an exam yesterday. My hand still hurts, but it has 8 days to recover until next one. Exam went...ok - I think, but University-people expect so differently than high-school people, so I really don`t know how it went, but hopefully I managed to at least pass.

(Please, please, please let me pass)

Emma the 1st
Major Character

PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2006 10:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Huh. My Nintendo didn't look like that. At least, I don't think so. It was a long time ago. My brother has NFS: Most Wanted and gets all the cops on him, then bangs them up so bad they can't follow him. The sad thing is that he's 10.
Bezman
Star of the Show

PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2006 12:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Emma the 1st wrote:
Huh. My Nintendo didn't look like that. At least, I don't think so. It was a long time ago. My brother has NFS: Most Wanted and gets all the cops on him, then bangs them up so bad they can't follow him. The sad thing is that he's 10.

I havent tried Most Wanted, but Hot Pursuit (2?) is awesome.
You really get hooked the very first game - hearing those sirens really triggers you off! Twisted Evil Twisted Evil Cool Cool Twisted Evil Twisted Evil
And I love the "busted" clips, he he...! Wink
Nosdarb
Minor Character

PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2006 8:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Emma the 1st wrote:
Huh. My Nintendo didn't look like that. At least, I don't think so. It was a long time ago.

Well, ther ewere two Nintendo systems. The one pictured above is the origional. Much later, after the SNES had come out, they changed the design to be top-loading, like the SNES. Being as the SNES was out, it wasn't very popular. I may try to dig up a pictuer of the second style later when I'm not about to go to bed.

-Nos

The Mystery of Life vol. 841, chapter 26
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Beyond the Fourth Wall Forum Index -> Whatever All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 1 of 6

Jump to: