Beyond the Fourth Wall
Where webcomic readers conspire

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
How are we doing...?

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Beyond the Fourth Wall Forum Index -> Controversy Corner
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ssava
Creator of "The Dreamland Chronicles"

PostPosted: Sun Aug 03, 2008 10:33 pm    Post subject: How are we doing...? Reply with quote

Ok...a full day into this Controversy Corner.

Is everyone OK with this free thinking and free talking thing?

Have I ruined any of your conceptions of me for just saying whatever comes to mind and trying to think outside of the box?

After almost 3 years of Dreamland being online. I don't want what has become a wonderful and friendly place to change.

So please keep me updated if anything makes anyone uncomfortable.

John Theta
Major Character

PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2008 3:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No one's obligated to read every thread. I have strong ideas about religion, but will probably avoid those threads, just because I don't have the time required to get involved in those discussions.
Kargoneth
Minor Character

PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2008 6:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Debates are a pain but I enjoy other people's insight. So long as it stays civil I see no reason to prevent such discussions. I fear that my arguments in the religious threads will be biased by my lack of faith in anything... lol. (Well... that and the fact that it's very hard to find non-biased reference material to use as a source).
ssava
Creator of "The Dreamland Chronicles"

PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2008 1:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I appreciate it guys...

But please consider this.

Dreamland is and always will be a friendly all ages place.

Despite what others might say to eachother...how will it affect anyone's views of the story if they don't agree with the story's creator?

Meaning. Say I have democrats and republicans that are really into politics.

If I take one side...am I pissing off half of my readers?

And if so....how many will stop reading dreamland?

I'm not willing to become a polarizing creator. I like being the "nice guy" and enjoy staying neutral.

Should I not participate?

TFBW
Deus Ex Machina

PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2008 1:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bias or impartiality isn't important in a party to an argument; it's important in a judge or a referee, but we are not operating in that role. (Exception: me as moderator!) When you're having an argument, or even just a discussion, it doesn't really matter what your point of view is, or why you hold it. It's actually bad form to criticise someone's motives for holding a position -- you should concentrate on criticising the position itself, not the motives. It also helps to express yourself as clearly as you can, and assume the other guy is not an idiot just because he disagrees with you.

It's a common misconception that "bias" is a problem in this realm. It's not. We're all biased in some way, and it will help us if we simply understand our own biases and each other's, rather than trying to "unbias" the process.
TFBW
Deus Ex Machina

PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2008 1:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ssava wrote:

A decision that you will have to make, based on your own perception of risk. Not all Dreamland readers are also forum participants.

You could try the sneaky route, and create another forum account. Be careful with that, of course: one slip and you're outed.
John Theta
Major Character

PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2008 4:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The views of a webcomic author aren't likely to influence whether or not I read the comic unless they show up in the comic itself, and even then only if I find them particularly annoying and they overshadow the story. But I may be something of an exception; I mean, I'm a fairly strong conservative and I've enjoyed reading Doonesbury at times.
Bezman
Star of the Show

PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2008 8:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

John Theta wrote:
The views of a webcomic author aren't likely to influence whether or not I read the comic unless they show up in the comic itself, and even then only if I find them particularly annoying and they overshadow the story. But I may be something of an exception; I mean, I'm a fairly strong conservative and I've enjoyed reading Doonesbury at times.

Yep, I've REALLY considered to stop reading the comic because of all those annoying "The Princess Bride" anecdotes, and the name "Blue Dream Studios" that spring from a recording of s**anistic music (rock)... DUH!
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOT!!!!!!!!!!!
Very Happy Wink Very Happy
Medron Pryde
Bit Part

PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2008 7:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So far it seems nice.

I've always believed that people are capable of talking about religion and politics without attacking each other. I hope that this place can be one of the few where that belief (faith?) is founded. Wink

"If someone tries to kill you, you try to kill 'em right back." - Mal - Firefly
tuxedobob
Major Character

PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2008 8:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ssava wrote:

Just keep it out of the comic. Unless, of course, it's an important part of a character or the setting, but preferably just leave it out.

Actually, I'm not a fan of the song lyrics on the stone tablet either. HO HO HO Santa non-reference aside, part of the immersion is lost by having it be a real-world reference.
Caldazar
Supporting Role

PostPosted: Sat Aug 09, 2008 1:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

well that is more of a easter egg meant for the long time readers and I don't think anyone reading it would really see it unless they're actively looking for it. as for your participating in discussions I don't have a problem with it. As said before the most important thing is to keep things civil. Even in things I believe in firmly I can understand that people hold different views. A few years back i considered myself a true atheist (nowadays I'm more of a neutral in that discussion) and I thought religion in many cases brought more trouble than the good it did but I've always been able to put myself in the toher persons shoes and understand that they might choose to believe differently for different reasons and that is imho the basis for having a discussion otherwise it'll yust turn into an argument and from there escalate.
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Beyond the Fourth Wall Forum Index -> Controversy Corner All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: