Beyond the Fourth Wall
Where webcomic readers conspire

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
[Fanfic] The Waking Hours, Part 2

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Beyond the Fourth Wall Forum Index -> Dreamland Fan Art and Fiction
View previous topic :: View next topic  
tuxedobob
Major Character

PostPosted: Sun Jun 01, 2008 3:00 am    Post subject: [Fanfic] The Waking Hours, Part 2 Reply with quote

The Waking Hours, Part 2 – Kiwi/Nastajia

The following is an attempt to chronicle the events that occur in Dreamland while Alexander is awake. They may be used in part or in whole by the comic's author as canon, an alternate story for the comic, or any other purpose.

This story begins after strip #93, dated 2006-05-09.

----------

Kiwi saw the confused look on Paddington's face and flew up. He had managed to look away at just the wrong time. "He woke up," she said. "I'd forgotten about that, too." She looked down and sighed. "I wonder how long he'll be gone this time." She looked back at Paddington, who apparently hadn't heard that part.

"Alex is back!" he said, with a big grin on his face. The excitement was apparently too much for him. He jumped, and upon landing, knocked over several nearby groups of teddies. "Oops, sorry guys." The dazed teddies on the ground didn't have a reply. He turned back to Kiwi. "How long do you think he'll be gone?"

"Well, he was only gone 30 seconds last time. I guess we can try to wait it out," she replied. Suddenly, she was aware of what she'd interrupted. "Oooh, hey, what about your dance lesson?"

Paddington turned to the crowd. "Sorry, everyone. It looks like I need to cut the dance lesson short today." This drew a few sighs and whines from the crowd. "I'll make it up to you next time. I promise!"

A few minutes passed with no sign of Alex. Kiwi, meanwhile, was getting bored quickly. And Nastajia had to know! She looked around, then back at Paddington. "Well, I guess there's no telling how long we'll be waiting here. Let's go tell Nastajia!" She began flying toward the edge of town.

"Kiwi? Aren't you forgetting something?" Paddington asked. Kiwi looked at him, puzzled. He pointed to a particular store's sign down below.

"Oh! You're right!" she said, and fluttered down. She found the shopkeep, a sweet old woman of a teddy bear wearing a straw hat with a red ribbon around it. Her green and white polka dotted dress didn't match at all, and Kiwi wondered if a human child had picked out the outfit. She landed on the glass counter near the shopkeep and looked beneath her. "Can I have one of those, please?"

"Just one, dear?"

"I think one is about all I can manage," said Kiwi. The shopkeep wasn't too bright.

"Right you are, dear. Any particular color?"

Well, as long as she could pick… "Green, please!"

The shopkeep scooped up a green one and put in on the scale. The needle didn't move. She picked it up again and dropped it. The scale still didn't care. She looked out the window at the big rocky leg in front of her window. A boulder of a face came down and started talking with several teddies. "You're with Paddington, aren't you, dear?"

"Yes, mam."

"Well any friend of Paddington's is a good friend of ours, dear. This one's on me," said the shopkeep, placing it in front of her.

"Oh, thank you!" Kiwi cried. She picked up her treat and zoomed outside.

She flew up and sat on Paddington's shoulder. "You don't mind if I sit down to eat this, do you, Paddington?"

"Not at all," he replied. "I expected it when I made the suggestion."

Let it never be said that rock giants are stupid, thought Kiwi. Then she realized the big, goofy smile on his face. "What? You know this is the only place in Dreamland to get good gummi bears!" He just kept smiling. "What?"

"Nothing," said Paddington. That smile would not leave his face. "Ready to go?" Kiwi responded by nodding, cheeks full of gummi bear. The gummi bear's ears were missing.

Paddington made his way out of town. A small entourage of teddies followed him, mostly children. Upon reaching the edge of town, Paddington turned to them.

"Hey kids, can you do ol' Paddington a favor?" he asked. Six little teddy bear heads nodded. "At some point my friend Alexander's going to come back."

"The human boy?" asked one.

"Yep, that's him," Paddington replied. "When he comes back, I need one of you to tell him we went to see Nastajia. Can you do that?" The teddies nodded again.

He waved goodbye to the teddies who had followed and headed south toward Ashendel. The terrain quickly changed from the grassy cliff overlooking the ocean to a rocky area the teddies called a boulder garden, then finally to forest. Just under a half hour from when they'd left the teddies' village they found themselves nearing Ashendel, the large tree upon which it stood looming up in the distance, barely visible through the trees.

----------

Nastajia felt it coming well before she saw it. It was large, and it was heading this way. Without a word she signaled the four guards with her, and the five elves quickly spread out and deftly made their way up into the tree branches above them. The source of the rumbling and noise soon came into view. It was a rock giant. What was he doing here? Then she noticed the fairy that was with him. Such an odd pairing meant it had to be her old friends, Paddington and Kiwi.

The two had stopped talking a while back and for now were simply enjoying the trip. They became aware they were not alone when a figure dressed in green dropped from the trees in front of them. A wave of her hand brought 4 more elves down from the trees, surrounding them. Kiwi paid no attention to them, nor to the danger she might have been in had she been anyone else. She recognized the purple-haired elf and flew to her immediately.

"Nastajia!" Kiwi exclaimed, overjoyed to see her friend. "How have you been?"

"Good to see you too," said Nastajia. "What brings you here?"

Kiwi paused for a moment. "Alexander's back," she said, her voice barely above a whisper.

Nastajia turned cold. An elven ambush wasn't a particularly warm welcome to begin with, either. "Not funny, Kiwi." She nearly spit the words out. How dare she.

"You think I'm joking?" Kiwi asked incredulously.

"Well, let's see," Nastajia countered. "You brought fireworks to my coronation. In Ashendel," she began.

"Fairy fireworks. They don't burn," Kiwi said.

Nastajia continued, talking over her friend. "When I turned 18 you tried setting me up with 'a nice boy' you know. I don't have time for that sort of thing, Kiwi." Kiwi looked dejected, but Nastajia wasn't done yet. "And on my 16th birthday, you told me your village was under attack. I showed up to my birthday party with half the royal guard because you wanted it to be a surprise!" she fumed. This far out from Ashendel, Nastajia knew there was no one else in earshot aside from their party and the birds in the forest. Both were silent. And her guards would keep this quiet, she knew. The guard who smirked was lucky she was behind Nastajia.

"Fine!" Kiwi shot back. Her friend clearly didn't appreciate the effort that had gone into each of those. "But if you won't listen to me, listen to Paddington!"

Nastajia looked up at Paddington. "He's back. He woke up, so we came to find you, but he's back," he said.

Nastajia caught her breath and dropped to one knee, as if her tirade had been keeping her standing and she no longer had the strength to do so. Truth be told, she'd gotten a little aggressive at Kiwi and this was as graceful a method as she could imagine to hide the fact she had nearly lost her balance. She looked to the ground, her eyes downcast. Her bangs fell down in front of her face, concealing it from her friends. He's back? He's not dead? Her mind began racing. What's he like? How has he changed? Has he changed at all?

Kiwi interrupted her thoughts. "Nastajia? Are you all right?" she asked, floating in front of Nastajia and just above her head.

Nastajia collected herself and stood up, calmly and deliberately. She held out her hand to Kiwi, who landed in it delicately, folded her wings behind her, and looked up at Nastajia with concern. It was the closest thing to an apology that Nastajia was willing to do right now, and she was relieved Kiwi had accepted it.

She turned to the guards behind her. "Head to Ashendel and inform Arvamas that our expedition has been cut short. I shall see you upon my return." She glanced at the other two guards, who then knew to stay with her. She dropped her hand as Kiwi flew back to Paddington and started walking back along the path her friends had come from.

----------

The group made their way northward, Nastajia in front, her guards on either side, with Kiwi and Paddington bringing up the rear. No one said a word, and so the elves moved silently through the forest. The same could not be said for the rock giant. The two elven guards heard every footstep, but Nastajia was lost in thought.

Why did he never come back? He would arrive in Dreamland every night when he went to sleep. If he was back now, he wasn't dead. If he was back now, then he obviously could come back. If he was back now, after all this time, he must have finally wanted to come back. He must not have wanted to return until now! How could he do that? How could he choose to leave Dreamland behind? Leave me behind? I've had eight years to mourn him, miss him, and bury him, and now he returns because it's convenient for him?! Oh, when I see him… Her hands clenched into fists as the fury rose in her, but there was no other sign to her companions in tow. As usual, her guards noticed, and dropped back two steps. Her friends, enjoying the forest, didn't.

The forest soon ended and the group found itself in rocky terrain. Nastajia by this point was no longer ready to punch him in the face, instead finding herself wondering what he'd be like. He used to be such a tease, so annoying. Has he matured at all since our childhood? Is he tall? Handsome? Maybe he's… he's… And then she caught sight of him. She raised her hand, and the group halted.

He was fighting pirates. No, scratch that. He was running away from them, until they surrounded him. He swung his sword. Sword? It was a wild swing, and missed miserably. It hit the rock behind him… and… tore through it. Nastajia's eyes widened as she watched. The rock came crashing down, and he stood there for a moment, staring at his sword like an idiot. Finally, the ship's captain came down. The captain rushed at him and took a wild swing. Alexander managed to parry it, thankfully. The captain's fighting form was terrible, and the incoming swing had been obvious. Alexander countered with a wild swing of his own, which the captain dodged easily. The captain replied with a kick to Alexander's face. He was fighting pirates, and losing. He was fighting pirates, whose typical adversary in combat was small, unarmed human children, and losing.

Whatever fury was left inside her dissapated. Pathetic. It was, unfortunately, the only word she could think of to describe her childhood friend. She was going to have to save him. From pirates. She nocked an arrow in her bow and aimed at the captain. As the pirate captain brought his sword to Alexander's face, she loosed her arrow. It hit its mark.

----------

The story continues here with strip #137, 2006-06-30.

Last edited by tuxedobob on Sun Jun 08, 2008 1:09 am; edited 1 time in total
tuxedobob
Major Character

PostPosted: Sun Jun 01, 2008 3:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Comments and questions welcome. Boy, it sure takes longer to write than it does to read. Confused

Is it all right if the next one starts a little early? I kinda need to cover Nastajia's time off camera before Alexander shows up in the tower. Very Happy
TFBW
Deus Ex Machina

PostPosted: Sun Jun 01, 2008 7:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You need to include the part where Kiwi and Paddington arrange for Annoying Little Teddy to wait for Alexander to come back.

I'd have let Paddington continue his dance lesson to kill time.
tuxedobob
Major Character

PostPosted: Sun Jun 01, 2008 8:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

TFBW wrote:
You need to include the part where Kiwi and Paddington arrange for Annoying Little Teddy to wait for Alexander to come back.

Quote:
A boulder of a face came down and started talking with several teddies.

Got it covered. Very Happy It was from Kiwi's point of view, though.

As for the dance lesson, eh, it didn't feel like it was something that would easily be resumed. If you look at the crowd from #86 to #87 to #91 to #93, it looks like the dancing crowd sort of dissipates, knowing that Alex's return would draw Paddington away anyway. When he officially cancels the dance lesson, there probably aren't many bears still there. Plus, it's mid to late afternoon, and in order for there to be enough time for everything to happen between then and what looks like sometime between early evening and twilight in #154, they had to get moving.
ssava
Creator of "The Dreamland Chronicles"

PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2008 8:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow Tuxedobob...you did it again.

I was genuinely enthralled reading this.

Masterful work!

I agree with TFBW. I'd at least get a line in earshot of Kiwi hearing Paddington say "hey kid...can you help us out?' or something like that.

Other than that. I'd love to post these on the main page for all to read.

Is that OK?

tuxedobob
Major Character

PostPosted: Sat Jun 07, 2008 5:04 pm    Post subject: Re: [Fanfic] The Waking Hours, Part 2 Reply with quote

tuxedobob wrote:

The following is an attempt to chronicle the events that occur in Dreamland while Alexander is awake. They may be used in part or in whole by the comic's author as canon, an alternate story for the comic, or any other purpose.

Sure, whatever you want. Wink I figure they're your characters; I'm just filling in the extra pieces. Very Happy I'll work in a few lines making it more obvious Paddington's leaving instructions, though. Wink
ssava

PostPosted: Sat Jun 07, 2008 9:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great...let me know when it's updated.

tuxedobob
Major Character

PostPosted: Sun Jun 08, 2008 1:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

All right, there we go. Smile

So, for the next part, is it cheating if I start/pick up the story shortly before Alex wakes up? Very Happy
ssava

PostPosted: Sun Jun 08, 2008 2:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Credit to Tuexedobob?
Or do you want another name on it?

tuxedobob
Major Character

PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2008 6:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmm... I guess I hadn't though of that. Go ahead and just use this name (without the extra e Wink ) and if I change my mind, I'll let you know.
Chef Justin
Minor Character

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2009 5:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bravo! Bravo! Your writing style is astonishing! Keep up the great work!
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Beyond the Fourth Wall Forum Index -> Dreamland Fan Art and Fiction All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: