Beyond the Fourth Wall
Where webcomic readers conspire

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
What books are you reading?
Goto page Previous  1, 2

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Beyond the Fourth Wall Forum Index -> Whatever
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bezman
Star of the Show

PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2009 12:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"Blixtkrig!" by Zetterling (2008)
(Blitzkrieg!, ISBN 978-91-518-516-8 )
Fascinating documentary about publicly accepted myths and misconception on how and why the German war machine was so successful and efficient between 1939 and 1941.

Last edited by Bezman on Fri Aug 28, 2009 8:22 am; edited 1 time in total
Wyldewynn21
Bit Part

PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2009 7:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just finished the newest in the Anita Blake series by Laurell K. Hamilton and one of the later ones in the Stephanie Plum Bounty Hunter series by Janet Evanovich
Chef Justin
Minor Character

PostPosted: Mon Sep 14, 2009 2:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Federalist Papers by Alexander Hamilton, James Madison, and John Jay

Gunheads: An Imperial Guard Novel by Steve Parker

Knight of the Realm by Anthony Reynolds

and a couple of new cooking and baking books
Rugne
Bit Part

PostPosted: Sun Mar 14, 2010 3:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just finished:-

Sherlock Holmes In America, an anthology of stories putting the great detective in the new world Wink
The Bridge OF Birds By Barry Hughart (Master Li Bk 1)
The Story Of The Stone By Barry Hughart (Master Li bk2)
The Good, The Bad and the Uncanny by Simon R.Green (Nightside bk 10)

Currently reading :-

Gaslight Grimoire- An Anthology of stories pitting Holmes against the supernatural
Eight Skilled Gentlemen By Barry Hughart (master Li Bk3)
Black Magic Sanction By Kim Harrison
Guards Guards By Terry Pratchett (for.. the 6th or 7th time, I think )

To Read Next:-
The Strange Adventures of Rangergirl By Tim Pratt
Elementary, My Dear Groucho By Ron Goulart

Actually, that's only the immediate list, my list of books to read is in the thousands Very Happy

For anyone interested in any of the books I've mentioned, most of them are easy enough to find on amazon or other sites, but the master Li books are a bit harder to come by, they deal with a fantasy version of an ancient china that never existed, where Master Li and his esteemed client and later, his assistant solve mysteries with a great deal of murder, mayhem, wine, and general chaos. There is also a dry comedic streak running through the books.

They are a lot of fun to read, in fact I've read bridge of birds 4 or 5 times, it's just a shame the author never wrote more then three books.

Rugne
TFBW
Deus Ex Machina

PostPosted: Mon Mar 15, 2010 9:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm nearly finished reading Atlas Shrugged by Ayn Rand. I knew enough about it prior to reading it to know its connections with the game Bioshock, which I also got around to playing recently, and when I mentioned this connection to an Any Rand fan friend of mine, he to decided to give it to me for my birthday. Actually, I think he wanted to give me The Fountainhead, but couldn't find a copy.

My initial impression with Atlas Shrugged was that it was a very surreal book. "What a strange, exaggerated world this is," I thought. I still think that, coming to the end of the book, but I've become accustomed to it. The book has much material worthy of discussion if you can get over the surreal, exaggerated, and blatantly propagandous elements.

Bioshock, the game, has less regard for the laws of physics, but a better grasp of human nature than Atlas Shrugged. It would be interesting to see the story of Bioshock told as a novel, in the style of Atlas Shrugged, focusing on the rise and fall of Rapture (the city in which Bioshock is set) from a human power-struggle perspective.
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Beyond the Fourth Wall Forum Index -> Whatever All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: