Beyond the Fourth Wall
Where webcomic readers conspire

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Standing Desks

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Beyond the Fourth Wall Forum Index -> Whatever
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2009 5:07 pm    Post subject: Standing Desks Reply with quote

Anyone else here have a standing desk?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Standing_desk
http://www.standupdesks.com/

I tended to slouch when stting in a chair in front of my computers so I decided to make a standing desk.

The one for my Mac Mini started off life as a wooden plant stand with a 15" by 15" top. I picked up as a kit and some lumber at the local Home Depot and added a keyboard self, a mouse shelf, a shelf for the Mac Mini and one more for a USB hub.

Luckily I use a trackball mouse so I didn't have to make a big shelf for it to sit on.

I took measurements of myself standing in a relaxed state to get the right height for the keyboard shelf. The monitor sits on the top, and is a little lower than it should be. As I recall the top edge of the screen should be at your eye level for the best ergonomic setup.

My main computer is on a standard computer table I picked up from Pier 1 Imports that I raised up on 14" tall stilts. Though the plan is to replace it with an adjustable height desk from Ikea.

I'd like to buy, but can't justify the cost of, an electric motor adjustable desk. Places like the Relax The Back Store carry them and can be programed for two or more heights. With the press of a button it can go from a sitting desk to a standing desk. Cool

-TD
Tempest_D
Supporting Role

PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2009 5:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bugger! Forgot to log in before making that post. Embarassed
Bezman
Star of the Show

PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2009 5:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually most offices in Sweden are obliged to offer their workers a motor-driven desk that can be sat by in ordinary fashion, or raised to a standing desk mode. (At least if a doctor ordinates one.) Thus you can change your working position multiple times each day if you wish.

However the antique, fixed-version you are referring to... I haven't seen any of those since "A Christmas Carol", where whatshisname works for Uncle Scrooge in nothing but a candle's light. Laughing

But I have also made my own computer desk... its kind of an invention, where I sit comfortably in my couch and I have the table resting on the armrests, and my arms are on it. Quite convenient! Very Happy
Been using it for many years now.
Leorobin
Supporting Role

PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2009 4:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's a convenient thing when you are tired of being sitting in a chair or you are going to do something fast...also when falling asleep while working on something Very Happy , at least you'll surely wake up if you fall asleep.
John Theta
Major Character

PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2009 6:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Someone in my department (math department at a university) set up something like that in his office.
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Beyond the Fourth Wall Forum Index -> Whatever All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: