Beyond the Fourth Wall
Where webcomic readers conspire

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
"Warning: Visiting this site may harm your computer.&qu

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Beyond the Fourth Wall Forum Index -> Whatever
View previous topic :: View next topic  
tuxedobob
Major Character

PostPosted: Thu Dec 25, 2008 8:11 am    Post subject: "Warning: Visiting this site may harm your computer.&qu Reply with quote

So, I got the new Safari update last night. It apparently has new security features in it designed to protect against malware and phishing scams.

For some reason, it flagged thedreamlandchronicles.com as potentially dangerous. This confuses me for several reasons, one of them being I know it's not such a site.

The part of the site that it deems necessary to investigate has the domain name of www.aninteractive.biz; however, no such domain is part of any element on the page. (?) Furthermore, that domain appears to go to a blank web page, containing nothing. Clicking on the link provided in the warning takes you to http://google.com/safebrowsing/diagnostic?tpl=safari&site=www.aninteractive.biz&hl=en-us which says that the site hosted something malicious in the past 90 days.

It's possible to disable this feature (and on a Mac, it probably wouldn't make much of a difference), but it's a good idea, and anyone using Safari on a Windows box and heading for the comic for the first time might be dissuaded from clicking on the "Ignore Warning" button.

Anyone have any ideas on what's doing it? I can only assume one of the ads.
TFBW
Deus Ex Machina

PostPosted: Thu Dec 25, 2008 12:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That domain name was registered on Wed Dec 24 at 17:19:12 GMT 2008. Such an extremely recent registration is almost invariably a bad sign. I'm not sure what on the Dreamland page may be referring to it -- possibly the tribalfusion.com ads which I am blocking because they annoyed me. I can see no reference to the malicious website at the moment.

Ad networks do occasionally serve up malware (as well as just plain objectionable ads). This is one of those "caveat emptor" things which you have to understand when you are putting third party ads on your website. There's a spate of nasty malware going around at the moment thanks to recently discovered and rather severe Internet Explorer security holes.
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Beyond the Fourth Wall Forum Index -> Whatever All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: